What are some things foreigners believe about India but Indians know are laughably way off?
Ricky S, lives in India
How can you forget this? India is a Rapist country, just count the number of ‘rape’in any Indian related news in BBC documentary or any British news, India is the Rape capital of the World.
Lets see where you’ve most chance of being raped.
Ironically UNITED KINGDOM, and many Western countries who thinks INDIA is a rapist country, have much much higher RAPE rate than INDIA.
You have 6 times more chance of being raped in Bangladesh than in India, yet many Bangladeshis think India is a rapist country.
You have 9 times more chance of being raped in France than in India. Yet, France is the romance capital of the world and India is rape capital.
You have 15 times more chances of being raped in USA than in India.
You have 74 times more chances of being raped in South Africa than you are in India.
译文来源：无极4 http://www.abaripsen.com/46897.html 译者：Joyceliu
Stats are pretty amazing, couldn’t add Pakistan but both India and Pakistan have same rape rates of 1.8 and 1.7, earlier Pakistan had more rape rate than India.
Now the country (United Kingdom) and BBC which always claims India is a rapist country have rape rate of 19.1, yet they call India a rapist country.
India is ranked 94th out of 118 countries surveyed, YET, INDIA IS THE RAPE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.
Here’s Other side of the Coin…
Most Rape Cases Reported In India Are FALSE. Here Are Some Shocking Statistics.
Out of the 583 rape cases reported in Delhi in 2013, only 12 were true. Shocked? If you think India is the rape capital of the world, here is a video by Teen Pathar that will change your perception about your own country. Yes, women safety is one of the biggest issues plaguing the nation. Yes, we need to do whatever can be done to ensure that the women in this country don't have to think twice before stepping out. But, in our fight for a safer nation, we've oppressed our women even more, pushing them into a bubble of fear. India isn't as unsafe as the media portrays it to be. It is time we stop being so scared all the time and instead encourage our women to live freely, step out when they want to, wear what they feel like. Sensationalizing rapes in India is clearly not going to help. Let's focus on how to deal with them.
Chinmayee Raj, Indian passport holder
They believe Slumdog Millionaire is what entire India is. This is a painfully funny joke.
- A Brit once asked me, “So, India got Independence in the 20th century right? They got independence from whom, exactly?” I laughed so hard that I cried!
- I’ve been asked if Indians use horses and bullocks for transportation. I wish I made this up!
- Someone asked me if India has an airport. You know I’m not exaggerating because someone actually asked this on Quora, on Quora!
- I have had two pairs of eyes widen when I have spoken fluent English in front of them. They were expecting one accent and I gave them another..haha!
- Someone wanted me to teach them how to drape a saree…this was absolutely funny because I had to say no. I actually don’t know how to drape a saree.
- “Do you speak Indian? Can you teach me?” If I had told this guy that I speak 5 Indian languages, he might’ve fainted.
- “Oh you’re from India! What are you doing in a Biomedical engineering discipline? Aren’t you into IT?” Sure, but who will mess with you then?
- Taj Mahal was built by an emperor to express his love for his wife. I won’t complain about this, many Indians don’t know the Tejo Mahalya story (The Indian Archaeological Society recently replied to a RTI on this topic please go through the same).
These are the few questions I have got from non-Indians that I have met.
- "I don't mean to be offensive, but why do most Indians smell like curry?" Yes, I was born in it, molded by it. I didn’t see any other food until I was already grown, by then to me a salad was only more bland,uncooked curry.
- This person and I were discussing about the IT industry in the US and discussion veered to India since I am an Indian. The guy asks, "Wait, but does India have a stock exchange like how we have the NYSE?" Keep in mind, this guy was a graduate in aerospace engineering. I told him that we still traded with sacks of crops and with cattle.
- "So, you are a master in eating spicy foods, right?" No thank you, I am busy eating jalebi.
- "Are you prepared to marry a guy have never met in your life?" This is such a common misconception, though. Arranged marriages don't mean that the day you meet your spouse for the first time is the day you are getting married to him/her.
- "The British still rule your country, right? In name only?"
Yeah, every girl and guy on the eve of turning 18 years old has to swear an allegiance to Queen Elizabeth in an oath taking ceremony. The main food is just curry, and then we are married off to the family owning the most cows. Deal with it.
Parimal Paritosh, Head Content Writer (2017-present)
We smell like curry.
2.We randomly start dancing on the streets as shown in the Bollywood movies.
3.Slums, slums everywhere.
4. You can see sages levitating in Haridwar and Varanasi.
5. Each and every one of us know how to charm snakes.
6. 100% of Indians understand and speak ‘Indian’ (the substitute for Hindi in the vocabulary of Europeans and Americans)
7.All Indian men are misogynists and potential rapists.
8.Indian women aren’t allowed to leave their houses alone.
9. All Indians are brown.
10. All of us like spicy food.
11. All of us can provide technical support.
12. Non-vegetarians don’t exist in India.
13. Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Sri lankans, Myanmaris, Nepalese and Bhutanese are all Indians.
14. We travel on cows because cars don’t exist in India. And Fly on Carpets!